Thursday, January 13, 2011

The letter "N" - New camera

I finally gave in to temptation and bought a Nikon Coolpix P100.  It arrived Thursday and I'm just learning how to use it.  This is a macro shot of a small cookie -- out of the camera but reduced in size.  I guess I should use a tripod to reduce the shakiness.


And I tried the zoom to see if it really is as great as they say.  This is looking into the back yard from my back porch -- about 200 feet away I'd guess -- through a closed (and dirty and slightly steamed up) window.  Again basically resized for the blog.  I think I'm impressed with the zoom, but I'll have to try it outside when it isn't so horribly cold!


And I found how to do manual focus.
First icicle shot is in automatic mode with auto focus.
Second shot is in Aperture priority mode with manual focus.


Not ready to give up the Canon yet, but the zoom and the light weight make the P100 a winner so far.
We'll see how it works with burst mode and birds in flight.

12 comments:

  1. Huge difference in the manual focus...I think you will be pleased with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas must be running behind where you are - great shot of the icicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey your icicles are better than that German Guy Otto (Auto)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got the same camera as I bought recently :-)
    and I got just about the same shot through my window and looking at those I think Ill have to try it out more (still use my Panasonic Lumix mostly).... will be interesting to follow your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    Great shots! Love that icicle. Have a great day!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second photo is so neat.I haven't tried apeture priotity setting mode yet on my camera. You have inspiried me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That camera looks to be pretty versatile! I'm impressed with the results. The macros are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great "get your feet wet" photos with your new camera....just think of the quality you'll have by the end of this year! I like the cookie photo with it's depth of field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very fun new toy! I love the difference in the icicle shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots! There is a lot to be said for easy to pick up and shoot cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you will be having a lot of fun with the new camera....but already in tune with the macros and manual focus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookie picture has great composition. Have fun with your new camera.

    ReplyDelete